Python frameworks for web development are the things that make developers’ lives easier. They enable developers to focus mainly on the app’s logic instead of wasting time on implementing routine and redundant tasks.
Python developers use the most prominent programming language. Thus they can benefit from a wide variety of frameworks of different types, choosing by their advantages and functionality. Check below the kinds of Python frameworks and our selection of the best Python frameworks for web development based on our long-term professional experience.
Python Frameworks Types
The extensive feature set of this kind of framework can usually meet all developer requirements and serve well for a project of any complexity.
The lightweight frameworks offer a primary batch of features without additional tools and libraries. It is supposed that a lot of code and additional requirements will be added by the developer.
Frameworks of this type can handle multiple connections simultaneously, making them more and more popular.
Best web development frameworks in Python
With its 12k+ known projects, as well as over 64.5k stars, and 27k+ forks on Github, Django literally is the most popular Python framework for web development with a strong community.
Initially, it was created for smooth content management. However, the extensive features list Django has attracted the developers of other kinds of web apps. Here are some of the most demanded: templating, database automatic generation and access layer, and generation of the admin interface.
- Free and open-source
- Quick APIs and other complex code software creations and web apps development
- A huge number of libraries, which means efficiency, components reusability, and less coding
- One of the most extensive web development Python frameworks with a lot of seasoned developers available to provide a professional advice
- Facilitated app’s URL patterns definition
- Straightforward and effective URL dispatcher
- Built-in authentication system
- Numerous cache mechanisms within the cache framework
- Object relation mapper
- Database automatic generation
- Auto generate Django models
- The auto generated admin interface
Flask is a lightweight WSGI microframework for Python with over 1.8k stars and 100+ forks on GitHub. It is used by big companies, such as LinkedIn and Pinterest. The framework is constantly growing in popularity due to facilitating the web development process. While Django is mainly used for complex tasks, Flask can be the best choice for small and simple projects.
Flask was initially designed for open-ended applications. It progressed from a simple Werkzeug toolbox and Jinja2 template wrapper to one of the most preferred Python frameworks for web development.
- Quick and easy start
- Simple but extensible core
- Supports numerous extensions to add any functionality
- Framework-agnostic tools for WSGI
- Non-relational data persistence option
- Class built for subclassing for more customisation possibilities
- Integrated development server and debugger
- Built-in unit testing support for higher code quality
- Jinja2 templating (tags, filters, macros, etc.)
- 100% WSGI 1.0 compliance
- No project layout or dependencies enforcement. You are free to choose any libraries and tools
- Smooth integration of new functionality due to the numerous extensions
Fast API is a modern, highly-performant, and very popular Python framework for web development. 46.1k+ stars and over 3.6k forks on GitHub speak for themselves. With this framework, you can build your API with Python 3.6+ using standard type suggestions from Python. The functions and common building blocks can be called through a REST interface.
- Large community
- Python type hints
- Virtual environment
- Top speed and performance at NodeJS and Go level
- Production-ready APIs can be built with simple code
- No specific meaning is enforced to HTTP methods
- Most of the use cases required for back-end frameworks can be covered, even the ones that are not strictly APIs
- Based on the open standards for APIs: OpenAPI and JSON Schema
- Advanced editor support and automated completion
- Intuitive interface and work logic
- Code duplication minimized
- Automatic interactive documentation
- Each parameter declaration calls multiple features
AIOHTTP is one of the most widely used asynchronous Python frameworks for web development with a strong community. Its popularity is confirmed by the Github impressive stats: 12.5k+ stars, more than 1.8k forks, and 66 branches. AIOHTTP is available in Python, Cython, Makefile and Gherkin.
Being a server web framework, AIOHTTP is diverse and flexible enough to work as a client framework. The queries can be redirected to functions that handle them via the request object and router. The framework is Apache 2 licensed and freely available.
- Free and open-source
- Based on async & awaits features of Python 3.5+
- Client framework option available
- Efficient views building
- Both client and HTTP server support
- Server WebSockets and client WebSockets out-of-the-box support
- No need to use Callback Hell
- Middlewares, signals, and pluggable routing within the web server
Pyramid is an open-source high-speed Python framework for web development and doesn’t stop growing. With 3.7k stars and 880+ forks on Github, it is one of the most frequent choices for experienced and novice developers. Even the big dogs from tech like Dropbox, Mozilla, SurveyMonkey, and Yelp use Pyramid.
Web development experts appreciate Pyramid’s transparency and measured quality. Junior Python developers like its flexibility, minimalistic approach, and the possibility to develop basic web apps. The high level of adaptability makes Pyramid suitable for projects of any complexity.
- Transparent and realistic
- Versatile and flexible
- Measurable quality
- Minimalistic and fast
- Runs smoothly with apps of all sizes
- Options of validation and generation of the HTML structure
- Testing and support options
- Flexible authentication and approval
- Comprehensive data documentation
- URL dispatch and WebHelpers, used for the routes configuration of the URL mapping
- All-embracing templating and asset details
6. The Tornado
This open-source Python web development framework is the best choice for a project that needs to handle 10k connections at any given time. The Tornado is an asynchronous networking library that makes it real.
This framework’s GitHub statistics of 26k+ stars and over 5.5k forks may seem not so impressive, like that of Django. However, knowledgeable developers appreciate the possibility of building very performant apps with thousands of concurrent users it provides.
- High performance
- C10k issue solved
- Asynchronous networking library
- Non-blocking network I/O
- It is typically run with only one thread per process
- Most apps should use Tornado’s interfaces directly instead of WSGI
- It is possible to implement third-party authentication and authorization patterns
- Interoperability with other Python frameworks and servers
- High-quality output and real-time services
- Translation and localization
- Web templating
- User authentication support
Eve is an open-source and quite popular web framework with over 6.5k stars and 700+ forks on Github. Several things make it stand out from the Python frameworks for web development: MongoDB and SQL backends support, simplicity, and ease of use.
Eve is powered by Flask and Cerberus. It enables you to create and deploy highly customisable RESTful Web Services with a robust feature set. This makes the framework demanded when developing revenue-generating products for business.
- Simple and easy-to-use
- Thoroughly tested codebase
- Simple API configuring and fine-tuning
- Community extensions for SQL, Elasticsearch, and Neo4js backends support
- Emphasis on REST
- Full range of CRUD operations
- Customisable resource and multiple item endpoints
- Data integrity and concurrency control, data validation
- API and document versioning
- Filtering and sorting options
- Enhanced logging and operations log
- HATEOAS, GeoJSON, JSONP
- JSON and XML rendering
- Conditional requests and bulk inserts
- Resource-level cache control
- Predefined database filters
- Built-in resource serialisation
- Event hooks
- Custom ID fields
1.8k+ stars and more than 100 forks are the GitHub stats for one of the most modern and trending web development frameworks, Masonite. Rapid development, language versatility, and the focus on developers make it so popular.
If you’re a beginner, this could be your best choice to deploy your first web app. Experienced developers, in their turn, will enjoy the rich feature set.
- Fast and easy-to-use
- Many useful features
- Mail support that makes the emails sending straightforward
- Simple and efficient sending of notifications to users
- Sending jobs to run on a queue or asynchronously
- Task scheduling
- Active Record style ORM (Masonite ORM)
Need web development services in Python or in any other language? Don’t hesitate to contact us.